Gluten Free Banana and Walnut Loaf with Chocolate Sauce


When you have over-ripe bananas in your fruit bowl, there is only one thing to do. Make banana bread. I actually am not keen on the texture of bananas and never eat them raw, but love the flavour – so banana bread is perfect for me to get my banana taste fix. Of course being me, I just had to add chocolate somewhere into this recipe. I didn't fancy just adding chocolate chip/cocoa power..so what did I do? I made a milk chocolate sauce to drizzle on top once it cooled. Pure heaven on a plate!




Er yes I am aware my loaf is slightly wonky. Not sure how that happened..


For the Cake:
275g very ripe bananas (about 2 small/medium in their skins)
250g Gluten Free Flour (whichever one you like baking with - or Doves Farm!)
65g chopped walnuts
3 large eggs
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of sea salt

2 Tbsp Whole Milk (more if mixture feels dry)

For the chocolate sauce:
150g plain chocolate, broken into small pieces
50ml whipping cream
2 tbsp golden syrup
Knob of butter
Pinch of salt


♥ Mash your bananas with a fork. Beat the butter (softened) and sugar together with an electric whisk. Then incorporate the 2 eggs, one at a time. 

♥ Add your mashed bananas and vanilla extract. 

♥ Sift (yes I actually did sift!) the flour, bicarb, salt and cinnamon into your mix, folding with a metal spoon as you go. Then fold in your milk, again, gradually.

♥ Tip the batter into your loaf tin and sprinkle the top very generously with brown sugar. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. 

♥ Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before loosening with a knife and then letting it cool on a cooling rack.


Now for the chocolate sauce....

♥ Put the chocolate and cream into a small, heavy-based pan over a low heat. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted into the cream to make a smooth paste.

♥ Stir in the syrup, followed by the butter and salt, to give a glossy sauce.

♥ Keep warm until ready to serve, and drizzle away!




Even better served up with sliced banana on top. I should of really got out the ice cream tub...

3 comments:

  1. We've always got some brownish bananas that no one wants and this recipe looks so tempting. Who cares about the slight wonkiness, it's the taste that counts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely use them up! Better than going in the bin. I didn't even notice it was wonky till I photographed the top...Think I must be the only person who manages to make a wonky cake from a straight tin!!

      Delete
  2. Pls say how much butter and sugar quantities to use :-) Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete