Leopard Print Birthday Cake



Phew. I don't think I have ever found baking a cake so difficult. I have never come across so many difficulties I never even thought of. Thank God for Google/Twitter! This Leopard Print cake was baked for my Mum's Birthday, she only had one request, and that was for a chocolate cake. Easy. Or not so much, my idea from the start was to do a Leopard inspired cake somehow, whether that be the sponge or my decorations so initially a chocolate sponge seemed fantastic as it would fit in with my 'colour scheme.' However, it seemed to slipped my mind that I was going to use fondant icing and use leopard print transfers onto. There was my first problem, how on earth in my many baking years I have never made a fondant cake is beyond me. Don't even ask I have managed that one. But after some research all was clear, then the same happened with the transfers, how on earth do I use them? This video helped and I realised this was a very simple task!


Then to my problem where my lovely Twitter followers had to help, would a chocolate cake show through white fondant icing? Would it taste nice? And how do I stick it on a Apricot Glaze is a no go with chocolate. Luckily I found my answer in applying a thin layer on vanilla buttercream to the cake and not rolling out my fondant too thin. (Yes I used shop brought fondant, couldn't deal with much more stress!!)

In the end this has managed to be one of my best cakes, and I am just going to go for it and say...it tasted as good as it looked! The chocolate cake recipe was from Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery. I had never really strayed far from my usual sponge recipe so I was exited to see how this one turn out. It takes a bit of time but totally worth it!



For the cake:
250g butter
300g light muscovado sugar
100g plain flour
100g self-raising flour
5 eggs
300g dark chocolate



♥ Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
♥ Butter and line a 20cm cake tin.
♥ Using an electric whisk, beat together butter and light muscovado sugar in a large bowl until fluffy.
♥ Measure out plain flour and self-raising flour.
♥ Beat in 5 eggs one at a time, adding 1 or 2 tbsp flour if the mixture starts to split.
♥ Pour 300g melted and slightly cooled dark chocolate into the mixture, beating as you do so.
♥ Fold in the rest of the flour.
♥ Spoon into the tin and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes; the cake should be risen with a crust on top.
♥ Cool and then take out of the tin.




VoilĂ ! One cake with a wild side.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, lovley looking cake! the feathers finish the look :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The feathers did make a slight mess in my kitchen tho! Looked like I had plucked a fluffy crow :/ haha.

      Bella x

      Delete
  2. Great work i like your post very much

    ReplyDelete